The Skiathites suffered greatly due to pirate raids during the later Byzantine years as the ancient town was vulnerable to attack. Thus in around 1360 they moved their settlement to this place as it offered more security. Within the castle there were about 400-500 houses, only the ruins of which now remain, as well as numerous churches, four of which survive today.
The Skiathites suffered greatly due to pirate raids during the later Byzantine years as the ancient town was vulnerable to attack.
Visitors may see an impressive part of the fortifications with the entrance gate to the settlement, above which a cauldron with boiling oil was kept. Equally impressive is the canon which sits on top of the rock facing out to the open sea. Life there was extremely difficult because of the limited space and the inhabitants were under constant attack. The Castle went from Byzantine possession to Venetian and then fell subject to Turkish rule. In 1830 it was abandoned and its inhabitants returned to what is the town of Skiathos today.